Saturday, March 31, 2012

CrossFit Uncensored - My Journey Day 1

So today begins hopefully an era of change in my life. I went from being young and working out a ton holding a body weight of about 155. To getting married, having kids and ballooning up to 205, which is a lot of weight for someone with my body type.
A couple years back a friend gave me a family photo for Christmas and I was not very happy about what I saw, by what I looked like. I decided to drop some weight, which was also beneficial to the severe lower back pain I was experiencing. I got to 175 and have went up and down about 5 lbs ever since. I did this by eating a bit better and continuing to play sports. I never got back into the gym though, nor did I want too. The gym never felt right to me, over crowded, a lot of waiting, a lot of working out alone, nobody to push you, etc.

Enter CrossFit, I stopped by on Thursday to check it out, thanks to my friend Christy Linton. I could tell right away, the positive attitudes, people pushing each other, working together even though it's an individual thing. The number of people at the CrossFit gym is a manageable size and you have coaches helping you. The things that stood out right away was these people really seem to have a special bond with one another and the coaches are wonderful. They were very nice, answered all my questions and made me feel comfortable in deciding wanting to give this a go.

Today's workout started off with a 2 mile warm up run (are you f'n kidding me I was thinking) I have not ran 2 miles in a very, VERY long time. I'm committed though so no complaining. Then we did a nice stretch and warm up routine before our WOD (Workout of the Day). There were 12 of us, happened to be 6 guys and 6 girls so we split the teams boy / girl. Our workout consisted of 10 rope pull ups, 25 push ups, 30 sit ups, 20 kettle bell lifts, 30 team Burpees (belly ups), team tire flip, 10 inverted push ups, 200 meter run with a 20lb ball, team tire flip, 30 team Burpees.

I was exhausted, my partner (Kayla) was amazing and very positive, I felt great when it was all said and done. I couldn't believe I even was able to finish, I can easily say I had not worked out that hard since I was 17 and I'm 34 now. This is going to be a fun journey. I can instantly tell why many of my friends love CrossFit. It's not going to be easy (I'm sore as hell right now), but seeing the type of shape the fellow CrossFitters are in is unbelievable. I hope to make some good friends and have a great time at CrossFit Uncensored.

2 comments:

  1. wow, I need to check this out. I actually love to work out but find I peeter out after awhile because of the lack of someone pushing me. I look forward to seeing how you do with this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lori, I took a pic of myself before I started and will posted some comparison pics as I move along.

    ReplyDelete